Do you have a toilet that is running constantly? This plumbing problem is more than just a nuisance for the ears; it’s also an indication that your toilet's functions aren't operating properly. Fortunately, by taking several simple steps, you can get your toilet back to flushing and flowing as it should. If you’re someone who would like to try and resolve the issue on your own before giving us a call, the following tips will help you out. However, please never hesitate to contact us about a plumbing issue that you’re facing – we’re here to help, and we’ll never ask how it happened!
1. Turn Off the WaterTo start, flush the toilet to let the water drain and switch off the water supply. You can do so by turning the valve located either behind or next to the toilet on the wall. By turning off the water, you can remove the tank lid without getting sprayed by any leaks!
2. Check the ChainOften, toilets run because the chain is not properly attached to the flapper. You may also notice a knot or break in the chain. For older toilets especially, there could be some rusting causing the chain to break or weaken. If this is the case, the chain will need to be replaced.
3. Adjust the FlapperWhen a toilet flushes correctly, the flapper opens and closes fully. This allows the tank to fill and drain without leaks. But when the flapper isn't able to close, your toilet can run. Check whether the flapper is out of place and adjust accordingly.
4. Inspect the Fill ValveLeaky fill valves can also be a culprit of running toilets. Turn the water supply back on and flush the toilet. If you see the valve spray or leak, water isn't flowing through your tank properly. The valve will likely need to be repaired or replaced.
5. Call a ProfessionalAfter checking the above components and making any temporary adjustments, it's important to call a plumbing professional to address the root problem. A plumber can fully inspect your toilet, pinpoint the cause of the running, and offer a complete solution.
For a running toilet and all other plumbing needs, The Polite Plumber is here to serve you. We strive to provide exemplary customer service and results that last. Contact us today to learn more about our services!